IRS Mistakes – How Can You Prove Them Wrong?

IRS mistakes happen. We all know it happens. But how do you get the IRS to fix a mistake they’ve made? With record-breaking tax delays, a huge backlog of returns, and slow customer service response times, quickly resolving a mistake in your file can be challenging, if not nearly impossible. But you have rights and recourse if you have difficulty getting answers from the IRS.

 Taxpayer Bill of Rights

 In 2014, the IRS compiled a Taxpayer Bill of Rights listing the rights you are entitled to. They include:

  • The right to be informed,
  • The right to quality service,
  • The right to pay no more than the correct amount of tax,
  • The right to challenge the IRS’s position and be heard,
  • The right to appeal an IRS decision in an independent forum,
  • The right to finality,
  • The right to privacy,
  • The right to confidentiality,
  • The right to retain representation, and
  • The right to a fair and just tax system.

 What to Do if the IRS Makes a Mistake?

 While an abstract list of rights may give you the right to challenge the IRS’s position, figuring out what to do can be more challenging. Your options may include the following:

  • Contact a Tax Professional: Contacting a tax professional is often the most efficient way to fix an IRS mistake. Professionals can ensure you have the right information and documentation and can contact the IRS on your behalf.
  • Call the IRS: Sometimes resolving a problem can be as easy as making a call and explaining, or you can make an appointment at a Taxpayer Assistance Office. But if the mistake isn’t obvious, it’s best to consult a tax professional before you call the IRS.
  • Use the Taxpayer Advocate Service: The Taxpayer Advocate is an independent agency within the IRS that helps taxpayers. If you can’t get through, can’t get a prompt response, or no one is listening, the Taxpayer Advocate may be able to act as your voice and resolve the problem.
  • File an Appeal: If you disagree with an IRS decision, you can appeal. This can be time-consuming, and you’ll want an experienced tax professional to represent you.
  • File Suit: After you’ve exhausted all your options, taking the IRS to court is the last resort.

 You Need a Tax Professional

If you’re getting frustrated with an IRS mistake on your taxes or have difficulty getting prompt responses from the IRS, it’s time to bring in an experienced tax professional. Contact the Highland Tax Group today to see how we can help.