The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) uses an identity verification and sign-in process to enable taxpayers and tax professionals to securely access and use IRS online tools and applications. The mobile-friendly verification procedure gives entry to existing IRS online services such as:
- Child Tax Credit Update Portal
- Online Account
- Get Transcript Online
- Get an Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN)
- Online Payment Agreement
The process helps the IRS ensure taxpayer information is provided only to the person with a legal right to the data. The IRS uses ID.me, a technology provider, to provide verification services.
To access IRS online tools, you must sign in with an ID.me account. If you do not already have one, you can create one. Here’s the process:
- Go to the IRS application you’d like to access and select “Create an ID.me account.” Enter your email address, create a password, and confirm your password. Then accept the ID.me Terms of Service and check the “Create account” box. You also have the option to sign in with your Facebook, Google, Apple, or LinkedIn account.
- Confirm your email. The ID.me will send an email from email@example.com to your email address. To confirm, go to your email inbox, open the email with the subject line: “Welcome to ID.me,” and select “Confirm your email.” If you do not see the email, check your spam or junk folder, or go back to the “Confirm your email” message and select “Resend email.”
- Choose a multifactor authentication (MFA). You can choose one of several methods for the MFA, such as text message, phone call, and push notification via the ID.me Authenticator mobile app.
- Verify using Self Service or Video Chat Agent. For either process, you will need a phone with a camera or a computer with a webcam, a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license or passport, and your social security number.
- Upload your documents via your smartphone or computer by following the prompts. The program will also ask you to take and submit a video selfie. (ID.me automatically deletes your selfie and biometric information within 24 hours of verification.)
- Review and confirm that all information is accurate, then select “Yes” to submit your information. You will receive a confirmation message.
If you have questions about whether you should set up an ID.me account, reach out to the Highland Tax Group to better how this feature can help you.