How to Respond to an IRS Math Error Notice

What Should You Do If You Receive an IRS Math Error Notice?

Completing your tax return is nearly always stressful, but you typically are able to breathe a sigh of relief when you submit it in time for tax day. Unfortunately, if you’re like over 11 million taxpayers, that relief was short-lived this year.

In the past few months, the IRS has sent a plethora of notices known as “math error.” This indicates miscalculations on the taxpayer’s end.

These notices are often accompanied by demands for additional tax payments. This is understandably worrisome from the taxpayer’s perspective, but the problem might not be as dire as you think. Keep the following in mind as you decide how to proceed:

Don’t Panic

Good news: a math error notice is not the same as an audit. There’s no need to submit evidence or review your return. Rather, the IRS has determined that you miscalculated something on your return — and that you owe more or should have received a smaller refund.

Consider an Appeal

Not all IRS math error notices are correct. If you suspect that the error was made on the agency’s end, you can appeal. You’ll need to contact the IRS within sixty days of receiving the notice. Be sure to submit plenty of documentation to verify that your calculations are correct.

Work With a Tax Resolution Service

There’s no need to handle correspondence with the IRS on your own. A tax resolution service can help you understand why the IRS has reached out — and what can be done to resolve the problem. If there’s any question as to whether your math order notice from the IRS was sent in error, do yourself a favor and get help from an expert.

Whether you’ve received an IRS math error notice or would like to avoid this problem, you can count on the Highland Tax Group for assistance. Reach out today to learn about the role we can play in resolving your issues with the IRS.